Public Interest Disclosure Update for 2020
- Are Public Interest Disclosures just the same as Protected Disclosures?
- Do we just send everything to the IBAC if in doubt?
- How do we protect staff who make public interest disclosures?
- How do I know if something should be escalated to the IBAC or to the Victorian Ombudsman?
- Do we need to change any internal policies or procedures on how to make disclosures and how we protect whistle-blowers?
From 1 January 2020, significant amendments to the current Victorian integrity and whistle-blower regime are coming into effect. How your agency deals with the Victorian Ombudsman, the IBAC, and Victorian Inspectorate and in handling public interest disclosures will change.
This session will provide an overview as to the main changes to the integrity regime and highlight changes in how your internal policies and procedures will need to change in handling complaints and to liaise with Victoria’s numerous integrity regulatory authorities, including the IBAC, and the Victorian Ombudsman.
After this relaxed lunchtime session, you will:
- be better informed about the changes to how complaints should be handled and, where appropriate, escalated to external Victorian integrity agencies; and
- be better equipped to liaise appropriately with the IBAC or the Ombudsman Victoria and know in what circumstances to do so; and
- be able to assist your agency in updating your internal policies and procedures to ensure your agency is compliant with the new requirements of the integrity systems from 1 January 2020.